- Enriches alerts in BigPanda with topology information from vCenter Inventory export of hosts and virtual machines.
- Schedule automatic exports of the vCenter Inventory.
- Automatically creates and manages Enrichments in BigPanda.
The BigPanda vCenter Inventory integration works by registering a local plugin with your vCenter Server. Within the Configuration page of the plugin, one can set a schedule for how frequently to export data to BigPanda. All host and virtual machine inventory data is then transmitted to BigPanda for processing and transformation into a BigPanda enrichment which then immediately starts enriching your incoming alerts.
- Admin access to the vCenter Server
- Download the vSphere Client SDK (version 6.7 update 3)
- Using the terminal or command prompt, navigate to
CLIENT_SDK/tools/vCenter plugin registration/prebuilt
- Run the following command to register the BigPanda Plugin with your vCenter Server.
- Make sure to input the vCenter Server IP or FQDN as well as a user and password to access the server.
- Make sure to use the correct script (shell/bash) based on the OS you are running.
./extension-registration.sh -action registerPlugin -local \ -n BigPanda \ -c BigPanda \ -v 1.0.0 \ -k io.bigpanda.vcenter \ -s "BigPanda export plugin" \ -pu https://bp-bin.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/integrations/vcenter/latest/bigpanda-plugin-v1.0.0.zip \ -st E8:EE:A0:D0:24:8E:9C:2E:DE:11:82:37:25:83:DA:D7:5B:D0:50:4C \ -url <https://VCENTER_IP_OR_FQDN/sdk> \ -u <USER> \ -p <PASSWORD>
- Log out and back into the vCenter Server. A new user session triggers the download of any newly registered plugin.
- The BigPanda Plugin should now be present in the shortcut menu.
The integration configuration page needs just a few inputs for it to start exporting the vCenter Inventories to BigPanda.
Required. Access token from the BigPanda Console
Optional. Endpoint for the export of data
Default: BigPanda integration endpoint
Required. vCenter username with read-only access
Required. Password for the user
Required. Represents the interval at which the export should be done.
Values: Hourly, Daily, Weekly
Required. Represents how often within the interval should the export occur.
Optional. If you would like to rename the default field names, one can provide a list of here
Username and Password
The username and password fields are required for the plug-in to be able to perform inventory retrieval when a user is not logged in.
The password is encrypted on a local configuration file within the vCenter server and is never shared outside to BigPanda.
- Using the same SDK that was used to register the plugin, run the following command to unregister it.
- Make sure to use the correct script (shell / bash) based on the OS you are running on.
./extension-registration.sh -action unregisterPlugin \ -k io.bigpanda.vcenter \ -url <https://VCENTER_IP_OR_FQDN/sdk> \ -u <USER> \ -p <PASSWORD>
The unregister process does not remove the plugin files from vCenter. This process would need to be done manually.
- Log into the shell window of the vCenter Server and navigate to
- Remove the directory
- Navigate to
/usr/lib/vmware-vsphere-ui/server/and remove the bigpanda-config.txt file
Updated about a month ago