Define Environments based on what data you want to monitor in the Dashboard.
After you've configured the Environments on the dashboard, display it prominently so that you can continuously monitor the operational health of your organization.
- Log into BigPanda with the user account that you're using to display the dashboard.
Consider creating a non-admin user for displaying the BigPanda dashboard on your NOC wall monitors.
- At the top of the screen, click the Dashboard tab.
In the Dashboards tab, Click the "New Dashboard" button at the lower left-hand corner.
- Give your new dashboard a unique name
- Select the Widget type (by severity or workflow) to display in the dashboard. A given dashboard will show one type of widget.
- The available types of Widgets are detailed in the below section.
- Select the Sort By type (by name or active incidents).
- Select the Chart Time Frame.
The duration of the Chart Time Frame applies only to the active incidents trend graph. The widgets always show numbers based on the refresh interval of 1 minute.
- Select the Environments you wish to include in the dashboard data.
- To include an Environment, select the check box beside its name.
- To exclude an Environment, clear the check box beside its name.
- To select all the check boxes, click the arrow in the top bar, and then click Select All.
- To clear all the check boxes, click the arrow in the top bar, and then click Deselect All.
- Select Create Dashboard.
- Leave the dashboard open, and monitor the current health status with the data on the dashboard.
To go directly to the incident feed for an Environment, point to the tile and then click the View Incidents link.
- Make operational decisions as necessary based on the insights.
For example, spikes in activity or severity may indicate an outage that requires immediate attention or additional resources. Also, sudden drops in activity may indicate that a service has stopped monitoring an important area of your infrastructure.
Changes to the Environment settings affect all Dashboard users.
A widget that shows a breakdown of incidents in the selected environment according to different statuses: Critical, Warning, and Unknown.
A widget that shows a breakdown of incidents in a given environment based on their different lifecycle phases and activities: Unhandled, Shared, Assigned, and Snoozed.
In addition, for both Widget types, active incidents are displayed via a sum total and a graph to help understand trends.
Users can further refine their organization and star dashboards. Simply click the star icon to the right of a dashboard name to mark it.
Once at least one dashboard is marked, a new starred category is added to the left side navigation.
Similarly, users can star Environments. When building a new dashboard, the environments preview shows a star indication for the starred environments:
The dashboards in the BigPanda console are geared toward the big screens in NOCs, where engineers can view everything with incidents in the past 24 hours.
Use the full screen button to make the best of a large screen's real estate.
The Dashboards' default mode is with a light theme. A dark theme is available and users may toggle between light and dark modes to best customize the dashboards to their preference:
Toggle on the dark theme.
Toggle on the light theme.
To ensure the latest information is displayed, check the dashboard configuration and refresh browsers that display the dashboard after:
- Defining a new Environment that you want to see on the dashboard.
- Deleting an Environment.
- Changing the settings for an existing Environment.
- Dashboards are updated once per minute.
- There will always be at least one dashboard in the left side navigation.
- If there is only one dashboard in the list - it can't be deleted.
Updated over 2 years ago