The BigPanda Email Parser is a customizable integration that receives emails from a source system and parses them into BigPanda alerts.
Please note that this feature is available through the Beta program only and is not released for general availability. If you would like to request access to the Beta program, please contact [email protected]
HTML Support Coming Soon!
Ideal for monitoring tools and systems that do not support REST API, the email parser extracts alert data such as status and properties right from the email's subject or body. The parser supports text and HTML content.
Alerts should be configured to send individually to the parser.
A unique email parser must be configured for each source that will be sending emails to BigPanda
There are 3 pre-defined extraction rules. These rules can be customized, but cannot be deleted. Additional rules to extract additional properties can be configured.
Each rule can be configured to pull from the subject or body of the email.
This lookup rule searches in the subject or body for specific strings. If there is a match, the defined status will be populated. If not, the next rule will be run. If none of the rules match, the default value will be populated.
Default mapping rules:
“Has been resolved”
- If none of these are matched, the default status is ‘critical’
- This tag will be marked as the primary property in BigPanda
- For more information, take a look at the primary_property page in BigPanda's glossary.
- Populated automatically from the “FROM” address and cannot be changed
- This tag will be marked as the secondary property in BigPanda
- We recommend configuring secondary properties when possible to help connect critical/warning events to their corresponding 'ok' message
- For more information, take a look at the secondary_property page in BigPanda's glossary.
Custom tags can be extracted as defined during configuration. The following must be defined for each tag:
- Tag name - The custom tag must already exist in BigPanda
- Source - Select either Subject or Body
- Default Value - Set a string to function as the tag value if the extraction rule isn’t met
- Extraction rule - The regex rule to extract the value from the email. The extraction rule cannot be empty for any configured tag.
The parser can handle emails up to 10 MB
Previewing Sample Alerts
Use the sample email pane to easily preview and configure extraction rules for the parser. Simply copy the text of a sample email on the left, and the system will generate a sample alert based on the email values and configured settings.
- Stop sending emails from source. Halt emails completely, or remove BigPanda from the recipient list.
- Manually resolve all open alerts. As the system will no longer receive 'ok' messages for the alerts, any outstanding alerts will remain open unless manually closed.
- Delete the Integration in BigPanda to remove the Email Parser integration from your UI.
BigPanda will no longer parse emails from the source. To ensure that monitoring data isn't lost, configure a new destination for alert emails from the source.
- UI Configuration Enabled
- Initial release 🎉
Updated about 1 month ago